Shooting The Breeze Down At The Beach. Wind Waves Surfing Writing concepts Fitness Travel Lifestyle Banter. Nice of you to drop by...

14.6.07

Flash New Style

I've been trying out a new style of presenting the daily event news I write for the PWA. I started with an Event Preview of our current tour stop, and this time split up the text and tried to give a clearer form guide - especially to those who's first language is not English. In the past I've sent out news that I've wanted to be journalistic in nature. That got used heaps in syndicated form and received pretty good feedback. But, as I'm finding out with my freelance work, some journalists want a 'Kit' to make their own write-ups in their own styles which is understandable. I've had quite a few compliments so far, but I'd love some more feedback if you have any. Right now the tour is still here in Spain, or Catanunya to be more precise, and we're enjoying the regular hospitality we're given each year at this nice holiday location. Here's a shot JC, our photographer and my 'Media-Team' buddy, took of me last night at one of the dinner's the event organiser threw for us. In fact it was JC who told me my Press Release's were too wordy, and often over-detailed. I think he's right, and, also at his suggestion, I think I'll mix up my style more in the future to keep it fresh, as sometimes a journalistic piece will be appropriate. It feels like I'm giving less, but I think its helping more to pass on the key facts and comment on the atmosphere. I've tried a similar approach with my report for Boards Magazine on the recent Guincho World Cup. (That goes to print this week!) The editor was pretty happy with it as it's making a change from lengthy, wordy articles in the past that are kind of based on my PWA news anyway. It's true I have to write to a formula as our news service must pay some lip service to our corporate sponsors, and to their athletes who compete on this circuit. That's fair anough, but I think JC's advice is valid, and I'm going to try and consciously vary my approach to try and hit gold! JC's experimenting with the sideflash at the moment, and all the riders are queing-up to get 'Flashed' for their profiles. I tried to duck out of it, as, as you can see I've had a bit of a 'Fast Haircut' and that the top of my head hasn't seen enough sun on it yet!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home